SMS Services enable you to either request specific account information via SMS or to be sent an SMS message if a certain action occurs on one of your accounts. This service is available wherever you are and whenever it suits you.
Whether you want to find out an account balance, or a list of up to 5 most recent transactions, you can send an SMS message from your mobile phone and receive an SMS message reply from us with the requested information.
SMS alerts and enquires are available to all Members using Internet Banking.
In this section learn more about:
SMS alerts notify you when certain activity occurs on your account(s). For example, you can be alerted when periodic transfers are processed or when a future-dated bill payment occurs. This information is sent via an SMS direct to the mobile phone you have registered for the service. Once you are registered for SMS Services you can choose from the following alerts:
This service enables you to request account information by SMS, such as account balances and recent transactions. This information will be sent via SMS directly to your phone after you make your request.
Once you are registered for the SMS service you can request the following at any time:
- balance of a nominated account
- up to 5 most recent transactions for a nominated account
For more information on how to use this service, see below on 'How to receive balances and transactions using SMS Services'.
How to start using SMS Services
Before you can begin using any of the SMS alert or enquiry services available in Internet Banking, there are several steps you will need to complete to turn the service on.
To start using any SMS service in Internet Banking you must:
- Register your mobile phone number: The SMS Service can only be requested and received by this mobile number. You can enter or edit your mobile phone number at any time using the 'Change Personal Details' link on the SMS Settings page, or via the My Details option in Other Services. Please note: you can’t register the same mobile phone number multiple times, across different member numbers.
- Select the alert and enquiry services you require: To do this, click on 'Change active SMS services' on the SMS Settings page and tick to indicate the services you require (see 'How to set up SMS alerts and enquiries') . If you would like to receive account balances and recent transactions via SMS, you will also need to update your Quick Access Numbers.
- Activate SMS Services: To turn on your selected SMS services, click the 'Turn on SMS' button on the SMS Settings page.
How to set up SMS alerts and enquiries
- Follow the steps on How to start using SMS Services as detailed above.
- On the SMS Settings page, click Change active SMS services.
- The SMS Settings tab will display
- Select the required SMS service/s to be added and Save
- Balance enquiry
- Transaction enquiry
- Notification of Internet Banking messages
- Internet and Phone Banking access blocked alert (Phone Banking available to Personal Members only)
- Pause your SMS service. Should you wish to temporarily turn off the service between two dates.
- SMS enquiry failure notification. Select this if you wish to be SMS notified if your initial SMS request was incorrect.
- Payment alerts are set up in Payment Alerts.
How to delete an SMS alert or enquiry
- Go to SMS on the menu
- The SMS Settings screen will display
- Select the Change active SMS services option
- Deselect the SMS service you wish to remove and Save.
How to receive balances and transactions using SMS Services
To request information about your accounts you can send an SMS to the Newcastle Permanent SMS Services number 0427 842 408 with an action code and the Quick Access Number (QAN) you have allocated to your account. The action codes to use are as follows:
- BAL QAN# = the available balance of the requested Account. e.g. Bal 1
- TRN QAN# = up to 5 most recent transactions for the requested Account (most recent first) e.g. Trn 2
For example, to request the balance of the account you have associated to QAN1, you would SMS 'BAL 1' to 0427 842 408. In return you should receive an SMS that reads Your balance for QAN: 1 is $200 and the available balance is $200. -- NPBS 131987
How to switch off SMS Services
- Select the Turn Off SMS button.
®Registered to BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518